We are pleased to announce that on February 23, 2015, we went live with our new and improved website, redesigned by Photonics Graphics. In addition to an improved look and updated content, we have redesigned the site to be much more user friendly for mobile phones and tablets. The site also includes a video on . . . Read More
Rabbi Bernard Illowy, 1814 – 1875, is interred in Adath Israel Cemetery in Price Hill. Descended from a family of religious scholars, he was born in Kolin, Bohemia. He studied in Kolin and Pressburg, where he received rabbinical ordination. He subsequently received a PhD and continued his rabbinical studies in Hungary and Italy before returning . . . Read More
Adapted from a talk by Stephen D. Strauss to The JCGC Board of Trustees December 7, 2011 Judah Touro Cemetery Association, Inc., was incorporated in 1855 or 1856 (more about that later), and is located on Sunset Avenue in Price Hill. Anyone who visits this cemetery will note that it is atop a steep hill. . . . Read More
Jewish Cemeteries of Greater Cincinnati is pleased to announce that it will be honoring its founders and recognizing all the partnering cemeteries at a wine and cheese reception to be held at Adath Israel on Sunday, October 12, 2014, from 5:00 to 7:00 pm. We hope you’ll be able to be with us as we . . . Read More
Ray Warren, a JCGC Board member, made a presentation in June 2011 to the JCGC Board on the history of two of our Covedale cemeteries, Yad Chorutzim and Tifereth Israel. Click here to view the presentation.
Felix Moses was the hero in the book, “Felix Moses, the Beloved Jew of Stringtown on the Pike”, written in 1930 by John Uri Lloyd, a native of Boone County. Moses (1827 – 1886) came to Boone County, Kentucky in the 1850’s, an orphan whose family had been persecuted in the old country. “Mose”, as . . . Read More
In June 2011, JCGC announced the addition of a genealogy feature to its website. This feature is easy to use and quickly has become the most popular area of our website, which can be found at www.jcemcin.org. By clicking on the Genealogy tab on our home page, you land on a page that provides a . . . Read More
The English immigrants who bought the land for the Chestnut St. cemetery, Joseph Jonas and Morris Moses, were among the small group of Jews who, in 1824 — three years after the cemetery was created — formed K. K. Bene Israel – the Holy Congregation of the Children of Israel – the first Jewish congregation . . . Read More
THE DEPARTED, BUT WITHIN OUR WALLS, WE NOW REMEMBER David Urbansky was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for gallantry in battle at Shiloh and Vicksburg during the Civil War. He was the only known Jew and one of only 18 of Ohio’s 310,364 Union soldiers in the Civil War to be so honored. He . . . Read More
It’s a small town . . . with a population of just 9,642 people. It’s a pretty rough-and-tumble place, made up mostly of people who wanted to get away from the big population centers. They were willing to come to a place where most people were farmers, although both a merchant class and an intelligentsia . . . Read More
On Tuesday, a ceremony marking the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Disabled American Veterans of the World War (today, the DAV), honored Judge Robert S. Marx, who established the organization in 1920. The wreath-laying ceremony by his grave in the Walnut Hills Cemetery featured an honor guard, buglers, and remarks from members of the DAV and Jewish Cemeteries' David Harris. The ceremony was a moving, solemn reminder of Judge Marx's contributions to the country and the impact of the organization that he created.