JCGC is honored to have received a generous legacy gift from Jay and Sue Price. Jay passed away in April 2018, after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Jay and Sue, while not originally from Cincinnati, made our city their home and became involved in the civic organizations and in the Jewish community, in particular. . . . Read More
In 1928, the Vigransky Family funded the construction of a chapel for the Kneseth Israel Cemetery, at the corner of Anderson Ferry and Sidney Road. The family later dropped the “sky” from the name and Vigran family members are still active members of our Cincinnati Jewish community. This autumn, JCGC had to remove the chapel . . . Read More
Rabbi Marcus Crystal, Staff Scholar, Cincinnati Community Kollel Chestnut Street Cemetery: Longworth’s Gift to the Jews? The story has long been told of the founding of the “first cemetery west of the Alleghenies” located in downtown Cincinnati on Chestnut Street. In 1821, Benjamin Lape, or possibly “Leib,” was on his deathbed and called for a . . . Read More
On October 28th, a chilly autumn day, with fleeting sunlight splashing across the changing leaves in United Jewish Cemeteries Walnut Hills, 30 guests gathered to remember the former UJC Superintendent, William Riegel. Bill Riegel served as the UJC Superintendent from 1991-2008. Bill passed away in March 2017. A garden area, with a bench bearing the . . . Read More
On Tuesday, a ceremony marking the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Disabled American Veterans of the World War (today, the DAV), honored Judge Robert S. Marx, who established the organization in 1920. The wreath-laying ceremony by his grave in the Walnut Hills Cemetery featured an honor guard, buglers, and remarks from members of the DAV and Jewish Cemeteries' David Harris. The ceremony was a moving, solemn reminder of Judge Marx's contributions to the country and the impact of the organization that he created.